Monday, June 30, 2008

Proud to be an American





I don't know if I am just more emotional than normal lately or if it's because I have a three really close family members in active duty but I am so grateful this 4th of July to be an American. First I want to start by thanking my Heavenly Father for being born into this great nation where I am free to believe what I want and I don't have to worry about the safety of my family. I had a cancer patient that was from Iraq and told me that him coming to America to receive treatment for cancer put his family at great risk. He cannot talk to his mother or siblings in Iraq because his family will probably be killed for talking to him. He can never return to Iraq or he will be killed. He also had a scar on his face that he got from some invasion that happened in the middle of the night. He said he didn't even know what was happening but all the sudden his dad started yelling for everyone to get out of the house and run. They didn't even have time to put their shoes on. I don't know much about the mission or what is happening in Iraq but for people like my little friend from Iraq I think it brings hope.








Second I want to thank some close people in my life that have either served or will serve in the near future for our country- First I want to thank Brandon- Spencer's brother who has left a wife and four kids for 15 months to serve in Iraq. I also want to tell Tina how amazing I think she is for being a supportive wife of a soldier. I have never heard her make a single complaint about Brandon serving. I have learned that behind most of the people I know who have served in the armed forces have a very supportive wife/ mother and family behind them. Brandon thanks for all you are doing for this country we love you and miss you.



Then there is Nick my brother-in-law who for his career is in the Army. I really look up to anyone who can commit their lives to serving our country- what a selfless guy. He is currently in training to fly helicopters for the army. Thanks Nick you are an amazing person. Lisa I think you are a pretty special lady to support Nick knowing that he will be gone alot and taking big risks. (P.S. thanks Nick's dad who has given multipul years to the service)



Third I want to thank my Brother-in-law Brett who is in the Navy. He is moving to Florida in 2 mo. to train to be a flight surgeon. I heard the navy is one of the hardest groups to be in. I don't want to get anything wrong but I think my sister-in-law Kami told me he for sure will be going to Iraq eventually so I want to say thanks in advance and that I am pretty sure that you probably not even mutter one complaint about the job at hand you are such a hard working amazing guy. Kami you are amazing for finding the positive in hard situations- I just think you are a great example.


(sorry I don't have an army picture Scott)


Fourth I want to thank our good friend Scott Lee who has a purple heart from serving in Iraq. He had shrapnel go through different parts of his body when a rocket propelled grenade hit his area. Thanks Scott- I feel privileged to be your friend. Mel you are one amazing women to have gone through everything you have.


One final thanks to some of our dental friends who are currently in the Air force and are in Alabama as we speak for officer training. Thanks Richard and Ryan for serving our country(hopefully by the time you are done the war is over). Thanks to everyone else who I didn't mention for serving this great country.


Happy fourth of July and I hope everyone is grateful to be a part of this great country that I believe was founded by divine inspiration so we could all find our religion to help us get back to god. God bless America.

6 comments:

banks said...

Fourth of July definitely takes on a different meaning now. Thanks for the trubiute to the military men in your life. I feel blessed to be somewhat a part of it. I am glad Brett is serving his country. And I feel honored to have Brandon there. I hope you have a good Fourth of July. Loves

ps I love your new blog. The picture of Sofie looks so much like Spencer. Do people say she looks like Spencer? I am glad you found a place. I wish you could have been in Idaho. You guys were difinitely missed

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

Steph, you are so right to honor our troops, especially the ones you know personally. I think that would be the most difficult thing to have a husband serving in the military and I really respect those who chose to serve and also their families who support them and have to keep living their lives at home. What a great blog. I do get worried about your brother-in-law flying those helicopters since we just lost a great friend in an accident. I suppose all we can do is pray for safety. On a lighter note, I'm so glad you guys are getting more settled in in Oklahoma! And now I'm on my way downstairs to start my 5k training on the treadmill. Pray for me, I'm not very coordinated!

JeremyandKathi.blogspot.com said...

thanks steph- you are such a great person, hi to sofie...

Davis Family said...

Stephanie! I just found your blog and I must be dumb because I didn't know you had one!! Now we can stay in touch :) I'll send you an invite to mine since it's private. I'm glad to see that you guys made it safely and things seem to be working out. It's crazy that so many of us are spread out all over the place! Take care!! ps- Sofie is just the cutest thing ever!
Kelli Davis

Scott and Melanie said...

Happy fourth Steph! I sure miss you, Spencer, and Sofie!!

Marcy M Miller said...

Steph- you're so sweet- that was a nice tribute. I am so grateful for all those soldiers past and present who are willing to serve our country. Have a great 4th of July.